It is lunch time. We finish our meal and while I wash the dishes she asks me from the other room for a desert. She would like a ear of the chocolate reindeer St. Nicholas brought her. I told her she ate the ears yesterday and that I will bring her the nose in a few minutes.
– Is it red? she asks in the most curious voice.
– No, is orange.
– Good, bring it like it is, orange …
In that moment, someone rings at the door.
– Who is it? The courier?What is he bringing? Books? Or, maybe a present? A new game? Is definitely a new game, right? From Saint Nicholas!
– Saint Nicholas came Wednesday evening, he will come again next year, I answer as I open the door.
– He came again yesterday morning at the kindergarten, I found some sweets in my closet and one little candy. Oh, where is my little candy? I left it in daddy’s pocket! What if he lost it?? You think he lost it?
– He didn’t, worst case scenario he ate it, I say.
– Call daddy right now! she commands. Tell him not to eat the candy, it is MINE!
– I will text him. If you are certain that you left it in his pocket… Maybe you lost it.
I wonder what kind of a candy was and why Saint Nicholas brought her just a small one. I open the package, wash my hands and take her the nose of the reindeer.
– Did you called him? she asks in a serious voice, with her mouth full of chocolate.
– If I would have, you would have heard, don’t you think? No, I haven’t called him yet.
I go to the kitchen to find some desert for me too. I open the door to a cabinet, I take a wafer, it’s from Saint Nicholas, I found it in my shoes. I open the package and start eating it. From the other room I hear a sweet voice:
– What have you opened? Another desert? For me? What is it? What? I want some too, please!
– It is not a desert, it’s the package from the courier, I lie quickly, frightened by her paranormal powers.
– You already opened the box, it was another kind of sound. That is a dessert!Come on mama, give some to me! What is it? It’s a good wafer, with blue package, right? I want some!
Oh, God! I can’t do anything anymore in my own house without her knowing my every move. I can’t even sneak out to eat a treat.
I take the wafer to her.
– I told you it was the good one in blue package! It has cream, it’s my favourite!
– Yes, along with the reindeer, haribo and the lolipops, they are all your favourites! So you know, that was my dessert, not yours! I say in the saddest voice and go back to the kitchen.
I have one more wafer in the cabinet. I open the radio, so that the enemy doesn’t hear what I’m doing there and take out the desert. I eat it slowly, with slightly disappointment. It doesn’t have the same taste when I eat it like this, sneaking around. Like a thief.
While I chew the last bite, there she comes, with cream all over her cheeks and hands.
– What are you eating? Another desert? Do you have some more?
– What are you doing here?
– I came to wash my hands mama! she answers trying to lick the melted chocolate from her fingers.
Then she turns, takes her little stool, that stays right next to the counter where the reindeer is, puts it by the sink and says:
– Aha, the boots were red, not the nose!
– The reindeer. I knew I saw something red on it…
– Do not even think about it! I interrupt her sentence, while I dry her hands with a towel. You cannot eat any more sweets today. You ate more than enough. Tomorrow you will get another sweet.
She think for a minute then she asks me:
– What did the courier brought? It was something for me! Books, right? Ah, there are right here on the chair! Oh, they are beautiful! Come on mammy, read me the new books right now!